Who designed the Indian parliament Building ?

Asked 26-Feb-2018
Viewed 556 times

1 Answer


0

Originally known as the House of Parliament, it was built between 1912 and 1913 by British architects Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker as part of a larger project to build a new administrative capital city for British India. The Parliament House was built starting in 1921 and finished in 1927.

The Indian Parliament is placed in New Delhi's Parliament House. It is located on Sansad Marg, which spans the Central Vista and is encircled by the India Gate, historic site, prime minister's house and home, cabinet buildings, and other administrative divisions of the Government of India, at a distance of 750 meters from the Rashtrapati Bhavan. It seats the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, India's bicameral parliament's lower and upper houses, respectively.
The structure was erected by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker of the United Kingdom and built between 1921 and 1927. It was first used as the Imperial Legislative Council's seat in January 1927. It was handed over by the Constituent Assembly marking the termination of British administration in India, and subsequently by the Indian Parliament once India's Constitution came into existence in 1950.
As part of the Indian government's Central Vista Redevelopment Project, a new structure to house Parliament is being built just across the present edifice.