I’ve always loved working in small gardens because it allows a lot of opportunities to be creative and self-sustaining. With Small gardens, we don’t have to really depend on gardeners to work on it if we give some time to it.
First I would suggest you make few points before starting up.
1. What type of garden are your looking for?
Ornamental Garden (A space to relax)
Mixed Garden (A bit of both of the above)
2. Then figure out the light conditions of your terrace from morning till night. Is it too sunny, or partially shade or do you have lot of obstructions to provide you a lot of shade.
Accordingly the plants needs to be chosen.
3. As it is a terrace garden, you have to decide how will you store the growing media/ soil?
Are you ready to build structures like walls, drainage, watering lines, fountains etc and dump the soil for a raised bed garden?
(if you choose to do this, better call a good landscape designer and related experts)
Or Would you just like to add few containers like pots, growing bags, raised bed bags etc?
4. If you are looking for an ornamental garden, do you need a lawn? Lawn area always makes the small area look larger.
5. How will you water your garden, do you have time to dedicate or do you have someone who can do it for you? If not for both, better go for automated watering with sprinklers or drip irrigation.
6. If you’ve answered all these questions above, then decide on the seating area in your garden.
Now pick a chair, place it where you want to be seated and sit on it.
Take a deep breath and look into your terrace, envision what do you want in there and start imagining the colors you want, height of plants and structures, the plants you like, the garden decorative ornaments to be used and how you would enjoy it all.
7. Write what you want from your imagination and pick materials accordingly in the nearest garden store.