The Calcutta High Court is one of the oldest High Court of India, it was previously known as the High Court of Judicature at Fort William
brought down into existence by the Letters Patent dated 14th may, 1862 issued under the High Court’s Acts 1861 is the first ever High Court of India.
It was formally opened on 1st July in the year 1862 and Barnes Peacock was its first Chief justice.
Just after a year in 1963 justice, Sumboo Nath Pandit was authorized as the Judge of the Calcutta High Court. Currently, this court has the sanctioned strength of 72 judges
Well, in the year 2001 the name of the city was officially changed from Calcutta to Kolkata
but the court as an old entity retained the old name.
Its Circuit bench has been extended in Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Jalpaiguri,
the divisional headquarters of the North Bengal region of the West Bengal.
"Hope it was informative"